Did you know that over the course of our lifetime, the average person uses about 25 gallons of toothpaste? While we don’t swallow any of it, the mouth has a high absorbency efficiency that allow some of the ingredients to find their way into our bloodstream and accumulate in our organs, bones and skin. Consumer Advocacy groups all across the country are sounding alarms about the hazardous ingredients in toothpaste. Do you know why? The simple reason is that many ingredients that are banned by the European Union are somehow tolerable by the FDA in the United States. We have to question why the European Union has banned over 1,200 different ingredients and compounds for use in cosmetics while the FDA has only restricted or prohibited about 15 – 25 ingredients and compounds for use in cosmetics.
Here are some disturbing facts — many of the ingredients in our toothpaste are potentially endocrine disruptive and carcinogenic with long-term exposure over years and years. Many of these ingredients are showing up in high concentrations in biopsy tissue of breast cancer and advanced Stage IV uterine cancer patients around the world. Is there a link?
In this special article, you’re about to learn how ingredients such as triclosan, aspartame, sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens and diethanolamine may be seriously harmful to your health with long-term exposure on a daily use. Food dyes are suspected in the rise of behavioral problems in children.
The typical child’s endocrine system is under attack from a myriad of questionable ingredients, chemicals, artificial colors and flavors. It’s making it hard for them to concentrate in school and sleep soundly at night. As our skin is the largest organ on our body and is often a clear indicator of our overall health and well-being, children are experiencing severe acne and skin inflammations at a much earlier age.
Over the last 50 years, the amount of food dyes, generally known as “artificial colors and flavors” has increased significantly, as much as 450% along with the startling rise of child behavioral problems such as ADHD, tantrums, heightened aggression and complete emotional meltdowns. Many scientists are questioning the link between artificial colors and flavors such as Red#40 (“linked to aggression and tantrums”) and Yellow#5 (“linked to severe insomnia, hyperactivity and learning disabilities”).
In recent studies, scientists looked at the efficacy of Red#40 and Yellow#5, very common food dyes in our food and cosmetics. If you read the labels on popular food items in the grocery stores and the increase in drug dependency of young children on drugs to control sudden and violent changes in personality, ADHD and anxiety: Adderall, Ritalin, Focalin and Dexedrine.
“Is there a link between these ingredients and the rise in suicide rates among young children?”
According to Dr. Gregory Plemmons, an associate professor of pediatrics at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital stated in a recent CNN article that the percentage of young children and teens hospitalized for suicidal thoughts or actions in the USA has nearly doubled in the last ten years.
More and more teen girls between the ages of 15 and 17 are being diagnosed with suicide ideation.
Dr. Plemmons said, “females are more likely to attempt, but males in general are more likely to succeed”.
Hopefully, this article is the beginning of a holistic approach to addressing these ingredients in your own home and taking back control of your daily rituals and what you put in our bodies. Even through we don’t swallow the toothpaste we use — the ingredients end up in our bloodstream, even though in low concentrations, and we need to question the side effects of long-term exposure on our health.
This is just the beginning of your journey….
WARNING: Toxic Toothpaste Ingredients You Need to Avoid!
Your mouth is very absorbent. Many medications are administered sublingually (“under the tongue”) because there lies is a direct gateway to your bloodstream and virtually every system in your body, so just imagine the effects of brushing and swishing toxic ingredients around in your mouth long term. There are a handful of toxic chemicals that might be lurking in your toothpaste that you should avoid: (1) Triclosan, (2) Diethanolamine (DEA) and (3) artificial sweeteners (‘Aspartame’).
- Triclosan has been linked in many studies to antibiotic resistance and endocrine disruption. Endocrine-disruptive chemicals have long been linked to elevated risks of breast, ovarian, prostate and testicular cancer. Research in mice has linked Triclosan to breast cancer progression due the hormonal effects of this endocrine-disruptive chemical.
- Diethanolamine (DEA) is a potential carcinogen and may act as a precursor when combined with other ingredients to becoming a potential carcinogen called NDEA (N-nitrosodiethanolamine) which has been linked to stomach, liver and bladder cancer. The California EPA lists DEA as a possible human carcinogen.
- Aspartame, an artificial sweetener which is common ingredient is made up of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The main culprit with aspartame is its phenylalanine methyl bond is SYNTHETIC which forms methanol. Methonol is present in fruits and vegetables, however it is bonded to pectin fiber which allows it to pass through our digestive tract harmlessly. The methanol in aspartame is a synthetic mechanism and being that humans are not equipped (no catalase present or protective biological mechanism) to transport methyl compounds through our bodies and break it down into harmless formic acid, the methanol travels through our bodies and into our brain where it gets converted into formaldehyde, which is highly toxic to the human body. The National Institute of Health has conducted various studies on the occupational hazards of working with formaldehyde, especially among funeral industry workers with long-term exposure who demonstrated elevated risks of myeloid leukemia. Many people worldwide have reported severe allergic reactions to Aspartame such as migraines, dizziness, weight gain and memory loss.
One of the best all-natural sulfate-free, flouride-free toothpaste products on the market today is Nature’s Gate Creme de Peppermint. Nature’s Gate Natural Toothpaste, Creme de Peppermint has peppermint, white tea, pomegranate and cranberry extracts and free of sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), paraben and artificial sweeteners. Even the packaging is printed in soy ink. It is a powerful antioxidant blend of extracts to promote healthy teeth and gums.
WARNING: Your Mouthwash may have Cancer-Causing Chemicals!
Most of the mouthwash products on the market have high amounts of alcohol and when coupled with poor dental hygiene and smoking, your risk for oral cancer dramatically increases. Worst of all, many companies use harsh chemicals in their mouthwash solutions that have been found in breast cancer tissue and other malignancies. Here is a list of SEVEN chemicals and carcinogens to avoid by going through your bathroom cabinet today to discard all products which list these chemicals as “active” ingredients:
- Chlorhexidine – linked to elevated blood pressure and serious heart conditions (source: “Free Radical Biology and Medicine Journal”).
- Hexetidine – linked to excessive overdoses where clotting in the brain may occur with allergic reactions and considered to be a carcinogen.
- Methyl Salicylate – linked to loss of vision and kidney failure and convulsions in overdose cases.
- Benzalkonium Chloride – linked to skin and mucous membrane irritations and swelling of the tongue.
- Cetylpyridinium Chloride – I had to discard my Reach 8-in-1 Mouthwash with its nifty toothbrush holder (“great packaging”) when I learned that this active ingredient is linked to teeth staining, irritations of the tongue and elevated teeth sensitivity and tooth pain. Halfway through the use of the bottle I noticed elevated tooth sensitivity and pain especially in the front teeth where the solution claims its “foaming action” eliminates plague and fights gingivitis. Eucalyptus, peppermint and tea tree essential oils tempers halitosis (“mouth odor”) and kills bacteria all around your gums.
- Methylparaben – linked to breast cancer tissue in pathology tests and the growth of tumors. This chemical is widely used in mouthwash and women’s cosmetics!
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – linked to canker sore development and severe dry mouth with damage and shedding of oral tissues which creates an unhealthy environment and breeding ground for bad breath bacteria to reproduce rapidly in your mouth.
CLEAN YOUR TONGUE: Oral hygiene is very important for your personal health and well-being. Many people find themselves using mouthwash 2 -3 times a day without really looking at one of the major causes of halitosis: your tongue. The human tongue is made up of thousands of taste buds and the layer of the tongue is a haven for sulfur-producing bacteria. You can use your favorite mouthwash 3 -4 times a day and perhaps you have a fresh scented breath for 1 -2 hours between each use, however when you start to use a copper tongue cleaner scraper in the morning and at night, you will find that your oral hygiene will be much improved. Your tongue is made up for thousands of taste buds also known as “tongue papillee” and a nasty bacterial biofilm forms between the taste buds over time. It’s a battle to maintain fresh breath when this white film of bacteria is stuck on your tongue.
WHY COPPER, Atomic Number 29 on our good ‘ol Periodic Table? As a civilization, we have exploited the antimicrobial properties of copper for centuries. Copper has a rapid antimicrobial efficacy against deadly bacteria and viruses. For this reason, door knobs are mostly made of brass, a copper alloy because copper has an ability to clean and sterilize itself within a few hours; a property known as the Oligodynamic effect. The metal ions has a toxic effect on molds, spores and viruses, even in low concentrations. Hospitals are now finding that while copper is more cost-prohibitive than items made of glass and stainless steel which will never sterilize themselves – switching to copper now will assist in their fight against an army of drug-resistant superbugs on the horizon.
Copper-alloy touch surfaces destroy E.coli O157:H7, MRSA, influenza and various fungi – 99.99% of disease-causing bacteria within 3 hours when cleaned regularly. When the EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) approved various copper-alloys as antimicrobial materials, many manufacturers were quick to use them in door knobs, health club equipment — even shopping carts which are major transfer agents of bacteria.
With the proliferation of drug-resistant superbugs and flesh-eating bacteria cases in the United States, hospitals are experimenting with these types of technology (“copper alloy touch”) and UV Light Blast Cleaning to minimize MRSA, E.coli and drug-resistant superbug outbreaks among patients in hospitals in an effort to save lives!
Chew on a string of parsley for fresh breath. Parsley is very high in chlorophyll and you’ll benefit for its amazing antibacterial properties and other great medicinal properties of this popular herb.
Assuming that you make regular visits to your dentist at least 2 – 3 times a year for a deep cleaning, with proper attention to tongue cleaning, you’ll witness a huge improvement in oral hygiene and fresh breath. You can use a dab of your favorite toothpaste with a tongue scraper. The long-term use of tongue cleaning has proven to increase taste bud sensitivity and minimize odor-causing bacteria.
Use a copper tongue cleaner scraper (available at most drug stores): In recent studies, copper has been showing to have powerful antimicrobial properties. Scientists are still trying to understand the nature of copper, an essential element and how its ability to eliminate E.coli bacterium cultures within 1 – 2 hours on contact. Copper’s affinity for the destruction of virus and bacteria has been reported for hundreds of years and ongoing scientific research has yet to be firmly established.
Give your liver and kidneys a detox and a break from toxins!
Your liver and your kidneys are under enough stress as it is with all of the harmful GMO ingredients in our food supply that are compromising our gut health. GO SULFATE FREE today with your toothpaste, mouthwash and body wash (“for starters”) and embrace clean, green organic living. Chlorofresh is available at many health stores and it is chlorophyll derived from natural plant sources. You can mix 2 tablespoons with water to gargle after each tongue cleaning and you can also use as directed as a Internal Deodorant taking 1 – 2 tablespoons as needed. Offensive odors from popular foods made with loads of garlic, onion and daily contribute to halitosis. Chlorophyll in the form of Chlorofresh or strands of parsley (loaded with chlorophyll) is ranked by most holistic practitioners as the Top #1 method of fighting halitosis.
The use of Peppermint essential oil is a great way to naturally clean your mouth of odor-causing bacteria while infusing your teeth with natural compounds and minerals to strengthen the enamel and prevent tooth decay and costly visits to the dentist.
Nature’s Gate is one of the most respected companies for all-natural, organic toothpaste, soap and mouthwash products.
You can also click on the link below to learn more about essential oils and how to use them to make your own DIY (“Do-It-Yourself”) Clean Green essential oil solutions to safeguard the dental health and well-being of you and your entire family.
DIY Organic Mouthwash: Create your own Antiseptic Mouthwash with 3 drops of eucalyptus which has a powerful antibacterial effect on pathogenic bacteria and 5 drops peppermint oils, a teaspoon of baking soda, a tablespoon of Celtic Salt in 8 oz of distilled water for a powerful and refreshing all-natural gargle and mouthwash solution. Eucalyptus and Peppermint are considered to be two of the safest all-natural alternatives of all of the essential oils to use daily to maintain excellent oral health and prevent decay.
Avoid SLES (“Sodium Laureth Sulfate”) in your toothpaste, mouthwash and body wash.
1. SLES is a powerful pesticide and herbicide used to kill plants and insects, yet if you look at most body wash products on the market today, it shows up as one of the first five ingredients listed on the label.
2. Ok! The big question. Does SLES cause cancer? No, it is not known as a known carcinogen, however its long-term effects on major organs like the liver are still unknown. The main problem with SLES is that when companies need to test new skin products, they irritate the skin to see how the reaction to its products. What do they use to irritate your skin? SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) because it is corrosive to the fats and proteins that make up your skin.
3. SLES is toxic to the environment; it is a major groundwater polluter and toxic to fish and aquatic animals. It’s bioaccumulation is a hotly debated and highly controversial issue for many environmentalists.
4. It is recognized as an eye irritant can causes cataracts in adults. SLES exposure can result in vision impairment and blindness.
Be on the lookout for SLES on the label of your soap, shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash and skin cleanser. Why not choose right now to give you delicate skin a rest from Sulfates and go green and organic with Nature’s Gate Pomegranate Sunflower Body Wash. Love your skin with it’s all-natural shea butter, almond oil and apricot kernel oil and powerful antioxidants of pomegranate and acai extracts.
Your skin breathes! It absorbs chemicals and toxins that get filtered out of your body by your liver and kidneys. Your skin is your body’s largest organ and makes up about 15% of your body weight and one of it’s most important functions, apart from keeping all of your internal organs together — it helps us breathe!
Source: “MSDS Sheet on Sodium Laureth Sulfate“.
Note: Yes! We love Nature’s Gate, it’s obvious. Their company and its staff are awesome and we cherish their commitment to environmental conservation and sustainability. We simply love the company!
We want our subscribers to have the opportunity to embrace clean, green organic living by making informed decisions and to be able share the good news about “Clean, Green Organic Alternatives” with their friends and family for health and prosperity, the true wealth!
Take back control of your living space and embrace the Raw Natural Power of Essential Oils for their antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. Click on the link below for FREE TRAINING on eight of the most powerful essential oils and their health benefits.